Sunday, September 7, 2008

I love the end of summer...

Here's a little something I've been working on. It's a work in progress, but I thought I'd put it out there since I haven't posted in quite a while:

Autumn’s Relief

I can’t help but welcome
Sun that doesn’t burn.
It’s gentler
And less threatening
To my wary skin.
I'm tired
Of the heightened
Expectations for fun
So it’s nice
Not to field
So many questions
About what I’m doing
This summer.
I did it.
It's done.
And it wasn't
Much.

Why bemoan summer’s end?
At its best it is
A flighty friend who,
Keenly aware
Of her own popularity,
Arrives late and leaves early.
The life of the party’s appeal
Is predicated upon
Limited supply
And great demand.
The illusion of celebrity
Is damaged by too much
Exposure.
Just like my skin
Has been damaged
From too much
Summer.

And it’s such a relief
To feel order starting
To reinstate itself
In my loafing mind.
Soon the kitchen
And the classroom
Will be calling.
I will bake bread.
I will cook stew.
I will grade papers.
I will field all of those
First day questions
From my nervous students.
And I will sleep well
In the slowly
Lengthening
Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment