Wednesday, April 13, 2011

For Colleen




On the day we met,


I was struck by two things:


how your face opened up


like a book of kindness


and how completely in tune you were


with your own body.


You were confidence in motion.


I was in awe.


And my brother was in love.


And each day since then,


you have been


the sister of my heart,


a gift to my family.


Time and again,


I have seen


how you harness seamless energy


of mind, body, spirit:


on the basketball court,


on the dance floor,


Even in the throes of labor,


when you reached down


and delivered your own son


from your own body--


one of the most beautiful things


I have ever seen.


And so it seemed impossible


that the words breast cancer


belonged anywhere near your name.


A cruel incongruity.


A ridiculous mistake.


And I wouldn't have blamed you


if you had slammed that beautiful,


open, kind face


shut for a while.


But you didn't.


You wrote your story for all to read.


And you triumphed--


through surgery and radiation and fatigue


and teaching and mothering.


You came out cancer free!


And I just wanted to tell you


how grateful I am,


and how beautiful you are,


and how much I love you.


My sister,


my hero,


my friend.







2 comments:

  1. This beautiful tribute gave me goosebumps and momentarily took my breath away. Thank you for introducing your readers to Colleen. She is an amazing woman, that sister of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, you're very welcome! She IS amazing indeed.

    ReplyDelete