Sunday, April 20, 2014

Personal Growth














The discovery
that the cute boy I knew in
high school--who  flirted

with me just so he
could try to talk me into
writing his research

paper--is now a 
bald man, prompts the fifteen-year
old in me to smile

and the grown-up me
to fall over laughing on
my middle-aged ass.



***
I still have some catching up to do, but just in case I can't, I will point out that each stanza in this poem is in haiku form, so in a way, I wrote five poems today, right?  
Today's NaPoWriMo facebook prompt was to write a poem about an old flame. Since I've been married to the same man since I was 19, I don't exactly have a list of old flames, so this is what came to mind instead.
Image from www.popsci.com

3 comments:

  1. This really made me smile! And, yeah, I think you are totally justified in counting this as five poems :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am in love with this poem (which certainly counts as more than one.) If I were single, I would date it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan Brown, I'm glad I made you smile!
    Heidi, my poem is in love with you, and would totally date you if you were available.

    ReplyDelete