Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Psalm


You have shown me hard things but
It has been so hard for so long
I used to be strong, I think
But I am too tired now

I hurt all the way from my temples
To the tops of my shoulders
My eyes are frozen open
The sky presses down
On my head

Oh, please
I am so cold
Where is the fire
The burning bush
Even a single tongue to
Singe my hair and lick my crown

Didn’t you
Cup my face once
And kiss it with sparks of sun
I can hold the memory for but a breath
Till the ice returns to sting my lungs and
Now all I want is to rest and be warm and put down
The mirror you gave me I can’t look
Any longer I am done I just
Want you to save me
Again with your
Warm right
Hand

2 comments:

  1. O wow, lovely. These are three of the most beautiful lines I've read, ever:

    Didn’t you
    Cup my face once
    And kiss it with sparks of sun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lydia! This poem came to me rather quickly--one of those situations where I am almost surprised by the lines as I am writing them.

    ReplyDelete